School of the Madeleine is a large Catholic school located in the Bay Park area of San Diego and is part of St. Mary Magdalene Parish. It serves children from preschool through eighth grade. It has a current enrollment of 599 students, consisting of 56 preschoolers and 543 students in kindergarten through eighth grade. The school serves 424 families.
At the present time, our preschool includes 3-year olds, 4-year olds, and a junior kindergarten. The kindergarten program offers options to meet the needs of the students. These options include a traditional one-year, a pre-first, and a two-year placement for students who need the gift of time. In addition, there are two classes of each grade from first through eighth.
School of the Madeleine’s staff includes the principal, a full-time vice principal, nineteen classroom teachers, eight auxiliary teachers (two P.E., two math, librarian, music, computer, Spanish), one preschool director, three preschool teachers, sixteen classroom aides, two office staff members, bookkeeper, administrative assistant, and a counselor.
There are two campuses. Preschool and kindergarten are located across the street from the main school. It has its own lunch and playground areas. Students in kindergarten come across the street for P.E. and library. The main school campus includes classrooms for first through eighth grade, a resource building, extended care/ P.E. office, and a science lab. The resource building has a large library, computer lab, advanced math classroom for grades 5 and 6, teacher workroom, faculty lounge, and custodial room. The main campus includes a grass field, stadium seating, running track, basketball courts, play structure, and swings.
The primary responsibility of the principal at School of the Madeleine is to provide a strong Catholic identity where faith permeates every aspect of school life. Because of the size of the school, the principal must also be a strong leader, an efficient administrator, an effective communicator, and be able to multi task. Some of the required tasks include: implementing the philosophy of the school; knowing curriculum and instruction; supervising personnel, staff, and students; formulating and monitoring financial operations; and developing long term goals for stability. This individual must also be capable of initiating and overseeing maintenance projects.
The Diocese of San Diego is seeking a qualified, experienced and transformational educational leader who is deeply committed to furthering the development of the faith life and academic excellence of a preschool-through-8th grade parish school located in San Diego, California.
Each student at School of the Madeleine is a unique creation of God actively involved in the process of his or her own spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, and physical growth. The administration, teachers, staff, and parents, as the primary educators, are committed to the development of each child by providing loving support, inspiration, and quality instruction, while integrating Catholic values, traditions, and worship throughout the school environment.
The Principal shall:
- be a leader/facilitator of the school faith community
- be a practicing Roman Catholic with understanding of the Catholic faith
- be deeply committed to the development of his/her own faith and that of the parents, teachers and students
- be understanding and dedicated to the ministry of Catholic education
The Principal shall:
- have five years of teaching experience, ideally a minimum of five years in Catholic Schools
- have a Master’s Degree in school administration and/or California Administrative Credential or at least 5 years administrative experience within Catholic education
- have the ability to verbalize and clarify philosophy of Catholic School Education based upon church documents relevant to religious education
- demonstrate leadership ability in past or present educational assignments
Principal Job Description: The principal has, as delegate of the pastor, immediate responsibility for implementing the philosophy of the school in its regular operation. A school principal has the responsibility to:
- Implement the philosophy of the school in its regular operations
- Administer the total school program
- Supervise and evaluate: a) Professional personnel; b) Auxiliary support staff; c) Students
- Provide instructional leadership
- Monitor the financial operations of the school (in conjunction with the parish business manager) and report to the pastor, the finance council, and diocesan finance officeCooperate with the Coordinator of Development for the School and the PTG Board and other groups to promote a development program for the school’s financial stability
Salary: Negotiated based upon experience, education and qualifications
Upon receipt of a resume and cover letter, candidates may be interviewed by the Director of Schools, and an application form will be forwarded to and completion requested from prospective candidates. Applications will then be reviewed and references contacted. Names, resumes and/or applications will be forwarded to the pastor. All acceptable candidates will be interviewed by the School of the Madeleine Interview Committee, chaired by the Pastor. (Candidates contacted for interview will travel at their own expense)
Please submit cover letter and resume to: https://www.edjoin.org/Home/Jobs?countyID=0&districtID=6141
Deadline for Resume/Letter of Interest: Wednesday, April 26